National Child Protection Week 2018
The National Association for Prevention of Child abuse and Neglect (NAPCAN) invites you to get involved with National Child Protection Week this year and play your part in creating safe and nurturing environments for all Australian children.
- We all have a role to play in protecting children from harm
- By building stronger communities, we can create safer environments for children
UnitingCare West takes child protection seriously. We are committed to providing a nurturing environment where all children feel safe, valued and heard.
You can read more about our commitment to child safety here.
One of our services that help families impacted by child sexual abuse can be found here.
Our services that work strengthening children can be found here.
National Child Protection Week starts annually on Fathers’ Day each September (Sunday 2nd – Saturday 8th September this year).
National Child Protection Week is an opportunity for government, business and community to come together to promote the safety and wellbeing of children.
The enduring message of National Child Protection Week is that ‘Protecting children is everyone’s business’ and urges all Australians to ‘Play Your Part’.
A key message of the week is ‘Stronger Communities, Safer Children’. Research tells us that a strong community is important for children and helps them to thrive and be safe.
We all have a role to play in protecting children from harm. The little things we do every day can help to create safer environments for children. For instance:
- Be kind to children and parents
- Respect young people
- Be a good role model around children
- Get involved in your local community
- Look out for signs of abuse or neglect; if you suspect something is wrong talk to an expert
- Always take reports of abuse seriously
- Avoid blame and don’t judge; instead, ask yourself what you can do to help
- Listen to the needs of children and spend time with them